Guest Post: Reflections on Teaching PE in a BYOD Environment

In todays blog post, I’ve invited Mrs Nic Richards to reflect on how her first term of teaching in a Yr9 BYOD class has gone. She teaches PE and Health at St Andrew’s, is the SOLO taxonomy co-ordinator and always keen to implement ICT into her teaching. The following is her thoughts and observations:

With the introduction of BYOD in Yr9 at St Andrew’s College, I felt it was a good chance to extend the ideas I had around the use of Moodle for assessment and also how we could introduce OneNote as our “workbooks” in PE. It was also a good chance to see how we could formalize the SOLO taxonomy used in classes. Here is a summary of how we have used both technologies.

OneNote has been used as our “day to day’ workbook in PE. We had a few teething issues to start in terms of getting students set up. Each student now has a notebook that they have shared with their teacher and for the PE “section” they have the course outline and a “page” for each unit. For the first unit “Part of the Team” there is a SOLO rubric that the students reflected on their performance (generally out of class).

The benefits of this were that we didn’t have bits of paper floating around the gym that seem to get “lost” and I could see what students had and hadn’t done and provide brief feedback. Below is an example of a student’s Notebook.

Example of a Yr9 student's OneNote workbook with feedback from the teacher

Example of a Yr9 student’s OneNote workbook with feedback from the teacher

I have designated Moodle for formative and summative assessment for the main part – although I did end up using it for resources as well, when my initial OneNote plan fell through. Students used a “Choice activity” for their initial and final self assessments (based on SOLO taxonomy) and also submitted their final written assessments (a SOLO Describe++ map and paragraph) to Moodle.

Using SOLO for self-assessment in PE

Using SOLO & Moodle Choice activties for student self-assessment in PE

With the “Choice” activities I could very quickly see where students thought they were at at the beginning of the unit. It also helped with the overall assessment at the end of the unit. I used SOLO taxonomy to create the final assessment rubric on Moodle and meant for quick and easy marking with the ability to also include more specific feedback if required.

At report time it is very easy to go into the gradebook and see the results for each of the units. It doesn’t solve the problem of non-completion but it is much easier to see who has done what and follow up via emails. Overall I have enjoyed the challenge of introducing BYOD to PE and I am looking forward to how we can use it more for practical activities particularly in our next unit “Physical Literacy”. My goal to have a “paperless” Yr 9 PE course is still intact!

Moodle - Part of the Team Unit

Moodle – Part of the Team Unit

A student completed Describe++ Map submitted via Moodle Assignments

Moodle Rubric SOLO Marking - useful in parent/teacher interviews

Moodle Rubric SOLO Marking – useful in parent/teacher interviews

4 thoughts on “Guest Post: Reflections on Teaching PE in a BYOD Environment

1. Hi Nic,
    This is an awesome description of how learning experiences in Physical Education might be deliberately designed, implemented, monitored and assessed (formative and summative) using SOLO Taxonomy.

Your use of various SOLO strategies such as the HookED Functioning and Declarative knowledge self-assessment rubrics, and various HOT SOLO Maps including the HookED SOLO Describe++ Map) in a Moodle environment is both purposeful and highly skilled.

I believe that you capture, respect and respond to student voice in ways that show a deep understanding of SOLO taxonomy and the various ways in can be used to enhance learning and make it visible. And in doing this you “put legs” on e-learning in ways that should be more widely shared.

Your account is so very valuable to others working to ensure their secondary students have a working model of learning that says effort and energy will get me there. I will be sharing the link widely.

Regards
    Pam

2. I’m interested in how you managed to make Moodle comply with student and staff assessing using the same rubric – I’m struggling to set this up. How exactly did you do this? (sorry that this is a really technical question – love the SOLO stuff too!!!!

3. Pingback: Hosting The CORE Education eFellows of 2014 at St Andrew’s College | StAC e-Learning Stories